Tuesday, July 7, 2015

2015 Internship Day One: introductions and reading!

Yesterday, July 6th 2015, was my first day at the RIT Imaging Science Internship! As a quick introduction, my name is Alexa, and I am interning at RIT with the College of Imaging Science. I will be working with Astronomical Imaging.

The first day of the internship was a slightly mixed bag of emotions. I was very nervous and apprehensive about spending a huge portion of my summer at a college, but I was also extremely excited about the new experience, and confident that I will succeed at the tasks given to me during the internship.

So the first thing all the interns did after arriving was take a quick tour of the College of Imaging Science. I really enjoyed the tour since it was interesting, informative, and enjoyable. Secondly, the interns were left in a room with a task: create a PowerPoint that includes a video on who we are and what high school we go to, instructions on how to resize an image on ImageJ and how to turn the image black and white, how to have a skype phone call, and finally create a blog where we will update it with information about our internship. The tasks were pretty fun and collectively the interns all worked pretty well together.

After that we had a pizza lunch and separated into our lab groups. I went to another building for astronomical imaging. They gave me a book to borrow and I was asked to read a few sections from it in order to get a better idea of astronomy. Now at first it might sound boring, but honestly, I'm really enjoying the readings. They're easy to understand, and truly fascinating. I love learning about space, when I was younger I wanted to work at NASA... Ok I still do want to work there. Space is so cool.

After reading, I met my internship partner, Leander. He had just arrived from Ohio. After a bit of chatting about what we might do this summer, we said our good byes and that concludes day one! Overall, I'd say it was a pretty successful day, and left me a bit tired, but very excited for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment