Monday, August 3, 2015

2015 Internship Day 14: Working Hard and Excel

EDIT: turns out this blog post was never posted, it was only saved as a draft- but here it is anyways. :)

I excel at Excel. I love using spreadsheets and creating tables and lists. It's one of my favorite things in the world. What does this have to do with my internship? Well the next part of my project involves me using excel spreadsheets to display what I'm doing.

I finished up collecting the images of stars, and I was really excited about that. So Joel Kastner gave me a new job. Look up the stars in SIMBAD (an online archive) and see which ones have papers written about them. Then I read through them and figure out what I can learn about the star, and collect what I learned on a spreadsheet. In addition to seeing if they have papers written on them, I also see if they are actually stars. It's a bit confusing to explain, but basically the images I was looking at are just images around the coordinates, so when I look them up in SIMBAD if the star isn't within 2 arcminutes from the coordinate, then it doesn't show up. This narrowed down the list I was looking at by a lot.

For lunch everyone in my lab went to the Carlson building for the weekly astronomy presentations. The REU students showed what they were working on. They were all really cool and I enjoyed watching them a lot. We also had really good cookies, and brought them back to our lab.

I've been really having fun reading all about these stars and making lists has been fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment